The Incorporation of Cordiners is one of the fourteen ancient crafts which comprise the Trades House of Glasgow founded in 1605. It meets, like all the Crafts in the historic Trades Hall designed by Robert Adam in 1791.
The Clerk to the Incorporation to whom all correpondence should be addressed is:Thomas W. Monteithc/o Monteith Solicitors Limited69 Buchanan StreetGlasgow, G1 3HLtom@monteithsolicitors.com
Like most of the crafts, the Incorporation of Cordiners is governed by a Board of Trustees known as a MASTER COURT, chaired by the DEACON, who is elected annually, assisted by a COLLECTOR. The Master Court meets four times a year.
The Incorporation of Cordiners in Glasgow has been supporting aspiration in the leather trade
for over six-hundred years. It is now a modern, forward-looking charity which makes grants to
good causes in the Greater Glasgow area. The Cordiners are in the process of launching our
own charity, called Body and Sole, to provide specialist outward-bound and sporting footwear
to young people who would otherwise be unable to take part in sports, the Duke of Edinburgh
Award Scheme and other activities. Like most of the other crafts, we also award prizes to
students and apprentices in the leather industry.
Scottish Charity no: SC016220
Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms of the Incorporation of Cordiners was grantedby the Lord Lyon in 1921. It is one of only two of the Glasgow Trades to bear a crest - the other being the Hammermen.The blazon is: Azure a chevron Or between three cutting knives Argent ensigned with a marquess's coronet proper. For crest we have the figure of St Crispin holding in his dexter hand a branch of palm and in his sinister a cutting knife proper.